What is CIPD 5ODG Assignment Help Examples?
CIPD 5ODG refers to the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) module “Organisational Design and Development,” which is part of the Level 5 Intermediate qualification. This module covers the principles and practices of organizational design and development, as well as the role of HR professionals in shaping organizational structures and processes.
Assignments for this module may include case studies, research papers, and presentations that require students to analyze organizational structures, evaluate their effectiveness, and propose recommendations for improvement. For example, students may be asked to analyze the impact of a recent merger on an organization’s structure and culture, or to propose a new performance management system that aligns with the organization’s goals and values.
To excel in CIPD 5ODG assignments, students should demonstrate a strong understanding of organizational design principles, as well as the ability to apply critical thinking, analytical, and research skills to real-world scenarios. They should also be able to communicate their ideas effectively, both in writing and verbally, and to support their arguments with relevant data and examples
5ODG CIPD Assignment Help Examples as Explained by our Experts
(A.C. 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2 & 2.3) (2,000 words)
A member of the senior leadership team has recently read an article on the relationship between sustainable organisational performance and the strategic alignment of an organisation’s different components such as its structure, culture, processes, and people management approaches, and is keen to explore the following question:
“To what extent does the current ‘design’ of the organisation support organisational success?”
You have been asked to produce a report in which you need to:
Summarise the current internal organisational context in terms of key influences on business strategy, and measures of organisational performance. Include consideration of 1. Organisation type 2. Organisation elements (structures, processes and systems) 3. External influences (STEEPLE factors) 4. Performance measures. (AC1.2) (approx 400 words)
The organization which is selected in this case is Apple, and some of the key internal and external aspects which influence organizational performance are to be explored in this section. Some of the important considerations are as follows:
- Organization type: Apple Inc. has often been described as having a unitary organizational form. This is also known as “functional organization”, and in other words relates to an organization which is organized around expertise not products. In case of Apple, this essentially means that one of the groups is design, another is product marketing and the third is operations. The organizational structure of Apple contributes effectively innovation which is essentially one of the important critical success factors. Apple inc. has a hierarchical organizational structure which has various notable divisional characteristics. Some of the main characteristics of Apple’s corporate structure include spoke and wheel hierarchy, product-based divisions, and weak functional matrix.
- Organizational elements: These include the structures process and the systems which shall be discussed here.
- Structure: The organization has a hierarchical structure with senior vice presidents working under the he CEO. The chief design officer, chief operating officer, and other vice presidents namely, user interface, communications, industrial design etc. all report to the CEO.
- Processes: The processes include marketing, product design and development, supply chain and, front end selling through Apple stores and e-commerce platforms. These processes are maintained by operational managers.
- Systems: major systems which are utilized in the Apple includes various management control systems, such as process control, management reporting systems, inventory control, sales and marketing, human resources etc.
- External influences: external influences such as pollical, economic, environmental, social, technological and legal factors affect any business. These factors are discussed below in brief:
- Political: Improvement in the free trade policy could be an opportunity. There is stability in politics in the developed nations could also be a good opportunity. The trade disputes between US and China could be a major challenge.
- Economic: Stable economy in developed nations is a good opportunity, along with rapid economic growth. There is an increase in disposable income among the targeted audience.
- Social: Increase in use of mobile along with increased dependence on the digital channels offers good opportunity.
- Technological: There is a growing demand for cloud computing platforms and this is an important opportunity.
- Ecological: would necessitate the company to shift to energy efficient options.
- Legal: there is an increase in privacy regulations which has caused issue with
- Performance measures: The performance measures which are used by Apple Inc. includes customer satisfaction, employee commitment, core competencies, and alignment. These also include measures such as market share and shareholder value.
Summarise the historical and theoretical perspectives of organisation design, and give a brief explanation and comparison of two organisation design models. (AC1.1) (approx 400 words)
Organizational design may be defined as the review of what an organization needs and wants, and an analysis of the gap which exists between its current state and where it needs to be in future. The design associated with the various organizational practices helps in bridging this gap between the present state and the expected future state (Burton et al., 2020). The theory of organizational design starts with the premise that the organization design constitutes the major factors in determination of the performance of the organization. This is achieved by specification and regulation of the manner in which people work together in the organization. There are four basic elements associated with organizational structure and these include functional, divisional, matrix and flat. The organizational design theory was developed to look at the organizations as systems which are full of interconnected practices which enable certain changes. Two of the most common system-based models of organizational design are as follows:
- McKinsey 7-S model: This model highlights seven most essential aspects associated with an organization and includes systems, strategies, structures, style, staff, shared values and skills. The model was one of the most important ones considering this provided a strategic vision to the work groups. This model also helps in assessing the wellbeing and the future success of the company.
- Galbraith’s Star Model: This is also an organizational design model which includes five main areas namely, strategy, structure, people, process, and rewards. This is comparable to McKinsey 7-S in two of the areas namely strategy and structure. In addition, this model discusses the “people”, which is comparable to “Staff”, in the McKinsey’s model. This model also includes process and rewards, which are among the most important aspects of organizational design.
However, in the modern days with the rise in the digital marketplace, team-based structures, decentralization of teams etc, these designs are evolving into hybrid models. Some of the emerging models include the following:
- Holonic enterprise model: This is a flexible model where the members have autonomy but are coordinated.
- McMillan’s Fractal Web: This theory perceives organization as an organism and focuses on its ability to grow.
- AQAL model: This model is founded in the developmental psychology and look at the different quadrants and levels associated with an organization. This includes exterior and interior of individuals.
Select and use two organisational design models/diagnostic tools (above) as a framework to critically analyse the structure and management of the organisation. (AC2.1) (approx 300 words)
The analysis of Apple Inc. shall be done using McKinsey 7-S and Galbraith’s model, in this section.
McKinsey 7-S for Apple:
- Strategy: The strategy of Apple is differentiation, business strategy, which has a particular focus on design along with advanced capabilities and features of the products.
- Structure: The structure is hierarchical in nature; however, a greater autonomy is allowed for the employees which is exemplary. The structure and culture of Apple has been modified over the years to provide better decision-making capability to the employees at the various levels.
- Systems: there are various systems associated with Apple’s operations and these range from employee recruitment and selection, performance appraisal of the employees, orientation systems, and team development.
- Staff: Apple has a huge workforce which is globally distributed, and in FY 2020, the total number of employees have become 147 thousand.
- Style: the leadership styles which are followed in Apple is greatly democratic in the present days, in sharp contrast to the highly autocratic style of leadership of Steve Jobs. The current leadership of Apple promotes democratic styles of leadership.
- Skills: Apple takes a very meticulous approach with regards to selection based on skills and skill development internally. Further extensive measures are taken to retain the skills, in the company, which includes good value to the employee and good reward structures.
- Shared values: The shared value of Apple Inc. inspires the work that they share with everyone. Further the leadership has a shared value of leaving the world better than they have found it.
Galbraith Star model for Apple Inc.
- Strategy: The company follows a differentiation strategy, and aims to differentiate their products from the competitors in the market. The company aims to achieve this through providing excellent quality of the products.
- Structure: Structure is hierarchical and is formed in a such a manner so as to enable maximum efficiency and clear communication channels. Greater autonomy is provided to the employees and intermediate managers at different levels.
- People: The people in the organization are provided adequate training and this is essentially one of the most essential aspects. The reward structures and the overall culture of the organization is such that the people receive adequate benefits and are retained.
- Rewards: The reward structures of Apple are very well designed and offers reward for independent thinking. The company provides a bonus of 3% to 5% of their respective salaries along with discounts on the product ranges.
- Processes: The processes followed are well planned and based on the desired outcome of the employees. There are distinct processes for operational aspects, HR related aspects, marketing, product design and development etc.
Evaluate the relationship between the various aspects of organisation design and work processes, productivity and the workforce. Make recommendations in terms of HR strategy and practices to support and improve strategic alignment. This could be in the form of a plan/table. (AC2.2) (approx 400 words)
Organizational design and work processes, productivity and workforce are all interrelated and plays an important role in development of the organization in the long run.
Relation between organizational design and work process: organizational design helps understand the various hierarchy, rules and roles. Organizational design is an important factor which has an effect on the processes of work in company (Organisation Design | Factsheets | CIPD, 2021). The organizational design helps develop and establish the standard operating procedures and helps employee understand the chain of command. Organizational design basically acts as a methodology, which identifies the various dysfunctional aspects associated with the work flows and the systems. In addition, the organizational design plays an important role in remodeling and fitting the various systems and work processes to the current business purpose of the organization. In addition, organizational design helps the employees adapt with the changing situations in the market.
Relation between organizational design and productivity: organizational design has an important effect on the performance of the employees and the organization as a whole. This is mainly due to the various aspects such as communication channels and transparency between the various levels in the hierarchy. One example is that, if the employees are unable to clearly understand their instruction or if there is lack of transparency in the organizational objectives, then this can be a major issue in productivity. Therefore, it is important to make sure that the organizational design be such that it promotes better productivity.
Relationship between organizational design and workforce: various HR aspects such as workforce planning takes place in accordance with the organizational design. Based on the various roles which are to be filled, recruitment and training of the workforce is performed. In addition, succession planning takes place based on the design of the organization. Changes in design has a direct effect on the workforce and workforce is itself an integral aspect associated with organizational design.
Some of the recommendations for increasing strategic alignment has been explained below in the table:
|Creating transparency regarding mission, vision, goals and strategy of the company||The employees are unaware of the different goals and objectives of the organization and as a result it becomes difficult to ensure alignment. Therefore, organizational design must be developed such that it allows for appropriate alignment of the mission, vision, strategy and goals with the performance of the employee.|
|Ensuring appropriate learning||This involves teaching the employees about the various aspects associated with the organization. However, these must be designed such that business objectives are met appropriately.|
|Improve communications between hierarchies||The hierarchical barriers often lead to poor communication and therefore poor performance. This can be addressed by designing the various roles appropriately to facilitate clear communications.|
Evaluate the link between organisation design and people management and development strategies. (AC2.3) (approx 150 words)
Link between organizational design and people management is very important and these two factors are associated with each other mainly due to the fact that the organizational design leads to development of the hierarchies and various designations (Rantakari, 2013). The manner in which the management personnel are trained for their specific role and the value, which these managerial personnel add value to the organization is mainly dependent on the organizational design. Therefore, management of people is also dependent on the design of the organization. When the change in an organization is implemented, it affects people management.
Similarly, there is an effect of organizational design on the developmental strategies, as the organizational design. The organizational goals, strategies and values are all integral aspects of the organizational design, and these aspects are important for implementing development strategies. The organizational design also impacts the efficiency of the various developmental strategies and the general direction which is taken by the company.
Draw conclusions as to the alignment between the current design of the organisation, its culture systems and processes, and its ability to successfully deliver on current and future business objectives. (AC2.1) (approx 150 words)
To conclude it may be stated that Apple Inc. and its organizational culture and its systems are well aligned to its goals. The various systems which are associated with recruitment and retention of talents; design and development of the products; greater innovation and the overall organizational culture of Apple Inc, are all aligned to each other. While under previous leadership, the company had followed an entirely autocratic approach of leadership, the current leadership is increasingly focusing on a democratic approach with significant autonomy given to the employees. According to McKinsey 7-S model, it may be observed that the strategies and systems are well developed and the company has a large global workforce. The various aspects associated with the management of the company exemplified excellent organizational design with various designations well designed to create a holistic system. This enables for optimal performance by the employees and increase the productivity.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Please also comment on how you will transfer the new knowledge and skills gained during this assignment into working practices. You may also use this reflection for your CPD. (approx 200 words)
From this module I have learnt a lot about organizational design and its importance for the organizations. I have gained knowledge about the historical factors of organizational design and understood various organizational design models. I have also learnt how organizational design impacts organizational productivity, work processes and the workforce. I shall apply this knowledge to the organization and aim to ensure good organizational design which promotes good productivity. I have also learnt the importance of developing overall organizational processes and how important organizational design is. I have learnt of various models of organizational design which I shall apply in practice to better carry out my duties in the organization in which I work. I have also learnt about the link between the organizational design and people management. I have also understood how organizational design impacts the developmental strategies of the organization. These findings from the module shall help me ensure optimal performance in the professional field.
Learn More from CIPD Examples
- 5CO01 CIPD Assignment Help Examples Online
- 5CO02 CIPD Assignment Help Examples Online
- 5UIN CIPD Assignment Help Examples Online
- 5CHR CIPD Assignment Help Examples Online
- 5ODT CIPD Assignment Help Examples Online
- 5DVP CIPD Assignment Help Examples Online
- 5HRF CIPD Assignment Help Examples Online
- 3CO02 CIPD Assignment Help Examples Online
- 3CO03CIPD Assignment Help Examples Online
- 5HR01 CIPD Assignment Help Examples Online
Get best 5ODG CIPD Assignment Help and examples here from us. Kindly submit your requirement here.